Tuesday, June 20, 2006

 

Book Club-a-rita!

Last night was book club once again and I’m feeling a bit groggy this morning from the margaritas that replaced our standard wine selection. We discussed The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. It was a semi-autobiographical novel about Ms. Cisnero’s childhood in a less than desirable area of Chicago. Our hostess was completely prepared with a map showing Mango Street and she even went to the now semi-gentrified area and took photos of where the house used to be. It was a great discussion and we got on the topic of immigration, stereotypes, racism, and sexism. (This was obviously after the margaritas!)

Next time we go to more familiar territory with Tom Perrotta’s Little Children, a story about stay-at-home parents in suburbia. I’ve already read (and liked) this book and I’m relieved that I get a free pass because I’m about to embark on Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and if that goes well I may move on to The Idiot.

--Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +