Thursday, December 29, 2005

 

A Day of Art


My brother Mack is visiting me this week from Portland where he attends the Pacific Northwest College of Art (hence the spotty blogging). Yesterday, I got a babysitter and we headed into the city to the Museum of Contemporary Art. I love going to museums anyway, but this was so fantastic because having Mack with me was like having my own personal tour guide. He was able to give me background on the artists, and what works had inspired them and really helped me experience the art in a whole new way. The most fun part of the day was literally spinning through the Dan Flavin installation of Alternating Pink and Gold (pictured to the left). I’m not sure if he learned doing that in art school, but it sure was fun and totally worth the looks we received.

But my art lesson was not over for the day. On the way home and through dinner we discussed the question “what is art?” passionately, and at the end of the day we watched the amazing Imagining America: Icons of 20th Century American Art on PBS

It was an enlightening day and truly changed the way I view modern, and really all art.

--Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +