Saturday, January 21, 2006

 

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme

Got an e-mail address or domain name reserved for your baby or kids yet? You might be behind the curve according to an article by Sarah Kershaw in last Sunday’s NY Times. Apparently parents are snapping up web addresses as fast as they can, concerned that vanishing domain real estate may leave their offspring without a good online home when they’re grown. Brutal world when it comes to this, isn’t it?

I regret to confess that this thought actually crossed my mind when I was setting up my own web domains and e-mail accounts. For about three femtoseconds. What I decided in the end is that today’s e-mail address with cachet may be tomorrow’s useless fortran card. Can you say Mosaic, Gopher or dial-up modems? Doesn’t it seem likely that they’ll have figured out something new with the personalized domain/e-mail address concept after eighteen years? Geez, probably after two years.

Now, that said, I must admit that I do own the top level domains for both my married and maiden names. But, hey, I’m an adult. I can do what I want.

--Melanie

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +