Thursday, March 30, 2006

 

Thirsty Thursday


Pull up a chair and pop open a Pacifico. It's time for Thirsty Thursday. Join us if you want, invite a friend, and/or come back next week when we'll have a new Special. Today’s theme…Guilt

What do you feel the most guilt about?

Melanie: There are so many things, but they probably all come under the umbrella of not spending every single minute of every single day (and night) focused on my kids. I know it’s illogical, but there it is.

Kelly: Television. It’s not like my kids watch it all day (see I’m already getting defensive), but they definitely watch their fair share.


Is there something you do that you think might (inadvertently) cause other mothers guilt even though you don’t mean to?

Melanie: I’m a reluctant perfectionist by nature and tend to do things to the nth degree—not from a spirit of competition, but just my own obsessive-compulsiveness (which I do try to curb as much as possible). So people sometimes tell me, for example, “you’re so organized” or “you get so much done”, and I guess that could make them feel guilty if they didn’t realize I’m just a helpless tool of my brain on a stick.

Kelly: I think the biggest might be my obsession with organic food. That is just my thing, and I never mean to make other moms self conscious about what they do, it is just me.


Any advice to take the guilt out of motherhood?

Melanie: Basically, be nice to each other. Forgive each other and ourselves when we make mistakes. Tell the truth about what our lives are really like, instead of trying to put up a big front.

Kelly: What Melanie says is right on. Also, try to ignore things in the media that you know are just going to cause you guilt. For instance, there was an article in Chicago Parent Magazine about a family that watches absolutely no television. I started to read, and then realized I was feeling guilty and just turned the page. (And don’t click on the link if it’s going to cause you guilt!!)

Comments:
Yeah, the TV is huge for guilting parents. And video games (which I hate and it's a constant source of tension between my DH and I. Oye.). But you know the one that gets me most? The fact that I don't have extra learning experiences for my kids so they aren't just getting the run-of-the-mill education of a govt school. I can eat myself up with that one.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +