Friday, March 17, 2006

 

Well-rested, but with Cookie Crumbs and a Moving Violation

The sleeping medication Ambien has been in the news so much lately. Apparently there’s a small population of Ambien users who sleep walk, sleep eat, and even sleep drive. I first started following the stories a couple of weeks ago when the New York Times published a story that included the tale of one man who ripped out a towel bar in his bathroom while “sleeping” under the influence of Ambien. Whoa, gnarly, I thought. I’m never taking that stuff no matter how bad my insomnia gets. This was about the time I decided to maybe just quit caffeine.

Then, subsequently there have been articles about sleep-driving; including the tale of an off-duty nurse who crashed her car, resisted arrest and peed all over the intersection.

And, this week, an article about sleep-eaters, including the lady who managed to struggle into her kitchen wearing a full body cast to cook bacon and eggs. This same lady turned on her oven to 500 degrees without first removing the pots and pans stored there. Luckily her son was there to avert disaster.

Now, clearly these crazy side effects occur in only a tiny percentage of people taking Ambien, and alternatives like Lunesta do not seem to cause this kind of wacky behavior in any users. Still, I’m not signing up anytime soon.

--Melanie

Comments:
Weren't those stories weird? I've taken Ambien and currently have a prescription in my cabinet. I haven't actually TAKEN it in months because I don't like to sleep so heavily. When I do though...it's weird. Each time I've taken it I have had conversations with others, watched TV and completed various tasks that I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF THE NEXT DAY. It is serious stuff and not to be taken lightly.
 
Wow. I guess the articles are true. Crazy stuff...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +