Sunday, May 14, 2006

 

How to Tell the Gift Came from the Heart

For Mother’s Day this morning, my five-year-old (second-oldest) daughter presented me with elaborately wrapped gift in paper towels and custom decorated with magic markers, tied up with lanyard string from her craft drawer, and completed with a melting jolly rancher and tootsie roll on top. The little package was about 3 x 5 inches. “What can if be?” I thought. Maybe something from school?

Inside? A dried up old sponge from the sink! She was so thrilled with her “gift”, and I was actually very happy to get it.

To me, it means that she is learning to be her own person and to think of others, and that’s the best mother’s day gift ever. She gave me what to her mind is a thoughtful gift using the resources available to her. And that is why I love my new/old sponge even more than the dozen pink roses and Godiva chocolates… or even my new cat door.

--Melanie

Comments:
Very sweet. But wait - you got a new cat door? Like a REAL one??? Very kool!!!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!
 
I know--woohoo! Only problem is the cat doesn't get it at all, so she still meows at the front door all hours of the night. I have to carry her over to the cat door (back door) and push her through. Hope her walnut-sized brain can handle this learning curve.

--Mel
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +