Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 

Flowers for Chip and Dale


Okay, I think I really need to get a job. My project over the summer has been training this chipmunk that sits on our wood pile on our front porch. (Please don’t ask why we have a wood pile on our front porch. That will have to be a story for another blog). Anyway, this chipmunk sits on our wood pile all the time and one day he was sitting there and chirping super loud. I got the idea that I would train him to chirp for peanuts. Armed with a ginormous bag of nuts from Costco I began my experiment. People scoffed and said it couldn’t be done, but today I proved them all wrong. Or at least I think I did. Today the chipmunk sat and chirped as usual and I threw out a handful of nuts which a squirrel promptly stole. About fifteen minutes later the chipmunk was back on the woodpile, looked right at me and gave a different kind of chirp like I’ve never heard before. It was less shrill then his usual song. He stayed where he was as I approached the window to see if the nuts were all gone (they were) and then he looked at me again and did the same sort of chirp. Of course I gave him his nuts. I feel like Jane Goodall of the suburbs.

--Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +