Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

Where there's Smoke

Yesterday I came home from picking up the kiddies and smelled something weird in the garage. Having two kids screaming and negotiating for Halloween candy I shrugged it off that maybe my car was just overly hot from the two mile drive. When my husband came home from work he also smelled it. We searched high (got out a ladder to check the (probably) rodent filled attic) and low (practically crawling under the car) sniffing all the while. Finally we threw caution to the wind about what the neighbors might think and called the fire department. Even though I told them it wasn't an emerency they were there within minutes of my phonecall - thankfully without lights flashing. For about half a minute they were stumped also, but then one of them walked around the side of the house and said there was a teddy bear on fire in there. Turned out it was an old bathroom rug that the fire ashes had gone on after cleaning out the fireplace. The ashes were still hot from a fire we had had the previous night. Who knew they stayed hot for that long. You can bet that I'll be buying a metal ash can. The fireman said that hot ashes are the biggest cause of garage fires.

--Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +