Monday, December 05, 2005

 

Escape from Samarra

Let me start by saying that I know that Sliding Doors is over seven years old at this point, but with two kids, sometimes it takes a while to get to a movie. I’ve actually had it for a while from Netflix, but my husband kept passing over it. I knew he would never want to watch it when he chose a movie about meth addicts over it. So last night while he was away I watched it by myself.

At first it seemed like kind of a typical romantic comedy a la Bridget Jones' Diary-- innocuous enough, nothing heavy. But then toward the end (warning: SPOILERS follow), when she had the accidents in both of her realities I literally got goose bumps. I thought she was going to die in both realties at the exact same moment. That would have made an amazing statement about fate, and whether we can avoid things – very Appointment in Samarra-esque. But of course in typical Hollywood fashion, she had to continue living in one reality and meet her true love anyway.

Another disappointment was that the stronger of the two Helens died (the one who discovered her boyfriend in bed with another woman). But on second thought, maybe the Helen who didn’t make that discovery was the stronger one, because she had to learn her lessons the hard way rather than having them handed to her on a platter. Anyway, I’m sure that was probably way too much thought and effort put into analyzing a movie when I should have been writing, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

--Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +