Sunday, January 08, 2006

 

Camp Angst


The snow is flying outside, Super Bowl plans are being made, what a perfect time to think of…Summer Camp! Last year was my first experience with this phenomenon, but since it seemed to be what all the other parents were doing, I did it too without thinking too much about it.

This year I am having second thoughts. My oldest is almost six and will be entering 1st grade in September. I feel like this is my last chance to have him all to myself. Don’t get me wrong, there will definitely be drop off play dates and some babysitters involved – I haven’t gone that far over the edge, but the days will be ours to spend as we please.

When I was a kid I didn’t go to camps. It was just a lot of playing outside in the backyard. Checking to see if the mail came was the highlight of many days. Here, on the other hand, we have the community pool practically in our backyard, and the beach is a five minute drive away. Not to mention my plans of taking the kids into Chicago once a week to check out different museums, zoos, and parks.

Call me crazy, but I think this year I’m just saying no to camps.

--Kelly

P.S. The kids are screaming at each other as I type this, maybe I should rethink my position…

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +