Monday, January 30, 2006

 

Crushed, Completely


Went to see Brokeback Mountain yesterday with four friends. Came out of the theater feeling like an elephant had sat on my chest. It was an excellent movie, but definitely not light entertainment. It was all I could do to keep from crying during much of it. I am a complete sucker for movie music that tugs the heartstrings. Of course, it isn’t a perfect film (what movie is?), and this review makes a number of good points that I haven't seen elsewhere.

I agree with the reviewer that Michelle Williams as Alma Del Mar provides some of the most haunting moments as a woman trapped in a marriage with a person she doesn’t really know and two young (perpetually screaming) children in the desperation of life on the edge of poverty.

--Melanie

Comments:
Oh, I just loved this movie. I have told everyone that I loved it, but I do not recommend it. I don't recommend it because it is so haunting. I read the article you linked to, but I don't know that I agreed with everything. I may just put myself too much into the movie, but I believed the characters and I felt horrible for them.
 
I just saw Brokeback Mountain this evening and I have to say your words describe my feelings to a tee right now. I think the review you've linked to is a very strong one and it echoes some of my thoughts about the film. I think the last point the reviewer made about everybody being able to identify with it based on choices we've all made and living with those choices is a particularly poignant one.
 
Yes, all of us who saw it together have been saying how we just can't get it out of our minds.
I'm looking forward to some interesting new films cuz we have a film festival here for ten days. I'll keep everyone posted if I see something good!
--Melanie
 
One not to miss:
http://destinationdaniel.smugmug.com/gallery/1213678/1/56771253

Now I have seen everything.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +