Monday, January 23, 2006

 

Midwest Coast


Last night Barry and I went to see the movie The Real Dirt on Farmer John, a documentary about a man who lost several hundred acres of his family dairy farm in the eighties. After a lot of soul searching, he used the remaining acres to start an organic vegetable farm called Angelic Organics, which is now part of Community Supported Agriculture, where members buy into the farm for a share of the harvest.

I loved both the film and the fact that I’m in the delivery area for Angelic Organics. I’ve long been a proponent of organic food, but when I moved to Chicago from California two years ago it seemed that my only choices were to buy locally (but non-organically) or go to Whole Foods. Now I have a third option. This summer I will receive a weekly box of vegetables grown organically a mere eighty miles from my house. Angelic Organics also has tours and opportunities to volunteer with the harvest, which I’m looking forward to doing with my kids.

A website called Local Harvest shows areas all over the country where you can participate in something similar.

I feel like I’ve regained a little bit of California right here in the Midwest!

--Kelly

Comments:
i ike it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +