Wednesday, November 08, 2006

 

What I've Been Reading

I had my first book club in a while on Monday. I had skipped the previous month's club because of a babysitting issue (aka hubby was working late). This time we discussed What Was She Thinking: Notes on a Scandal: A Novel by Zoe Heller . I give it three stars out of five (or like the SF Chronicle does in it's movie reviews: a little guy sitting attentively in his chair, but not clapping). The main problem with the book is that none of the characters were particularly likable. It followed a sort of Monica Lewinski /Linda Tripp story arc with Bill Clinton being replaced by a fifteen year old student of Monica Lewinski 's cum Bathsheba Hart. It did make for a fun discussion however, and was probably more light hearted than if we had discussed the other pick, My Sister's Keeper.

Not sure what we're reading next - luckily we skip November and December because of the holidays. As for me, I read Sophie's World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder. It was really a good book, but only if you have a keen interest in philosophy. I would say that the history of philosophy part outweighed the novel part by a fair amount. Now I'm reading Home to Harlem by Claude McKay while I wait for my husband to finish A Dirty Job: A Novel by Christopher Moore.

So tell me, what are you reading?

--Kelly

Comments:
Hmmm...I have that Heller book on my list of 'want to read'. I am waiting for it at the library.

I just read Emily Giffin's Baby Proof. It was OK. Not as good as her first one, which I really liked.

I like mindless chick-lit.

I just started 'Another View' bu Rosemund Pilcher, never read one of hers.

Another recent read I liked was The Penelopiad, Margaret Atwood...and being a non-Atwood fan, I surprised myself.

Sister's Keeper? BIG fave.
 
I am reading my bible
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +