Thursday, February 22, 2007

 

Pandora's Genetics

We've heard about DNA and genes in forensics, biology, and--going way back when--in those specials we used to watch on Nova. Well, now the concept of a genome is being applied to something that's actually useful in everyday life.

It happens on my new favorite internet radio site: Pandora, which uses a computer algorithm to assign each artist or song to a "musical genome," (e.g. according to tonality, instrumentation, vocals etc.) This genome can then be used to match up with other music that you might enjoy. It's the ultimate in "if you like this, you'll like that" music. So far, my favorite radio station is "Rufus Wainwright Radio" and I've discovered one artist I love--Ben Folds, as well as many other great songs by other artists (but Ben, you're my favorite; every song a winner!)

It's a very efficient way to discover new music, even if the community aspect isn't quite as strong as, say, LastFM. It's way better than flipping through stacks of cassette tapes at Borders the way I used to do when I wasn't watching those Nova shows.



--Mel

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +