Tuesday, September 27, 2005

 

The Accidental PTA Parent

A few weeks ago as I was filling out my son’s paperwork (at the last minute) so he could start Kindergarten, I came across an application to join the PTA. My first reaction was surprise at the $20 membership fee to join ($25 for couples). I’m not sure if this is something new from when I was a kid or not, but I had just always assumed that it was free to join. It was like another parenting mystery being revealed.

I decided against joining. I wanted to help out, but I wasn’t sure the PTA was right for me. And, after a four-hour marathon meeting at my son’s preschool last year, I wanted to volunteer for something that I could do on my own, without any committees. Instead, I decided to help out the school by taking over as editor of the school newspaper. I thought it would be interesting and good practice for my own writing.

You can imagine my surprise when I got the e-mail announcing the Executive Board for this school year’s PTA and saw my name front and center on the list! Apparently the newspaper is put out by the PTA, and the editor is also an Executive Board member by default. I guess I should send in my twenty bucks!

--Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +