Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Map-alicious


Yesterday we went orienteering with another family. For the uninitiated, orienteering involves finding your way around a wooded area with only a map and compass. The idea is to find a flag with a hole-punch attached to it, you punch your card to prove you were there and then work your way to the next flag, also known as a control. Oh, and you are being timed. Of course, my son already knew all of this because he “saw it on television” (?!).

This was my first time, but orienteering is right up my alley, as I love competition, maps, and hiking in the woods. The kids got a little bit bored by the end, but next time I’ll have to get them more involved by helping me read the map and charting our course. It will hurt our time, but schlepping through the woods with a pre-schooler is pretty much a guarantee that we aren’t going to come in first anyway.

One final warning for the super-competitive people out there: When doing this with your spouse, be careful, because doing this could incite arguments worthy of The Amazing Race. Not that I would know, of course.

--Kelly

Comments:
Never heard of that, but it sounds like fun. My kids LOVE to go geocaching and letterboxing. Very interesting for the under 10 (and the over 10!) set.
 
i can't tell you how much i enjoy the title of your post.

i heard about orienteering on tv too, it was on Arthur, I spend my time wisley!
 
Thank you so much for clearing up where my son saw orienteering. I thought maybe it was one of those wacky olympic events.

--Kelly
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +