Monday, July 10, 2006

 

A Totally Wicked Time


Five months ago when there was snow on the ground and everything was brown and grey my friend Jenny called to see if I wanted to see Wicked with her and our other friend Carolyn. Last night, in sleeveless tops with nary a speck of wool in sight, we finally saw the show. The lag between getting the tickets and going was like waiting as a child for the one time each year when The Wizard of Oz would be on television. I remember being so excited for it to come on. It was almost like a holiday. Not to sound like an old curmudgeon, but kids today just don’t get that excited over screening an old movie on the black box.

Anyway, on to the show (you might want to skip this part if you are planning on seeing it). Elphaba, the so-called Wicked Witch of the West, was portrayed as one of those earnest, idealistic college women (think PETA) with a horrible sense of style. In a housing mix-up she ends up not rooming with her wheelchair bound sister but instead shares the private suite of Glinda, the future good Witch, who has come to school to get her MRS degree. Glinda is the only blonde in the show and is like the head cheerleader and sorority president rolled into one fabulous package. Of course, a less than successful Clueless-style makeover ensues. But the main theme of the story is how history can be rewritten by the winners, sort of a People’s History of Oz. I don’t want to give anymore away.

Wicked did a great job of incorporating the original Oz story and there was only one area where I felt that there was a glaring inconsistency between the two. The scarecrow should have known that the Wizard was a shyster, but maybe he forgot when he was turned into the scarecrow. I plan on reading the book to find out. I would also put my money on the musical being turned into a movie. I hope it is, and I plan on being there to see it!

--Kelly

Comments:
I read "Wicked" and loved it! It was a little drawn out and I kept having to reference the map to know exactly where they were talking about, but I really enjoyed it. I've got the sequel, "Son of a Witch" on my list to read next.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +