Sunday, March 18, 2007

 

Food Foolery


I usually don't watch a lot of commercials. I either watch Voom HD shows (The Gallery channel is my favorite) or I use my DVR and fast forward button. Today, however, I was flipping through the channels and decided to watch Ebert and Roper. They reviewed Maxed Out directed by a Mr. Scurlock, which I just found out as I added the link to Maxed out. I had thought it was Morgan Spurlock. See you can learn things by blogging. Anyway, during the review they mentioned Spurlock's movie Super Size Me (further adding to my Scurlock/Spurlock confusion), then they went to commercial for, of all things, McDonald's. I prickled with irritation that they are trying to position themselves as healthy choice with Chicken Nuggets and apple slices dipped in caramel for kids and "premium" salads for adults. By contrast the Arby's commercial touted it's super beef and cheese. Sandwiched between these two ads was a commercial for some sort of fiber pill with green tea extract. God forbid you actually drink some green tea with some fresh fruit and whole wheat toast. In fact, the only ad in the break that touted the benefits of fresh veggies and healthy carbohydrates was for...dog food. I think I'm going back to the Gallery Channel.

--Kelly

Comments:
To be fair, the salads are a decent choice for adults... now as far as the stuff for kids, that's some BS... I usually just buy my son a regular grilled chicken and some apple juice.
 
I have to disagree on the perceived healthiness of the McDonald's salads. Check out the link. Not saying that I've never indulged in a Big Mac (or two) I do have a problem with them advertising their food as health food.

--Kelly
 
Perhaps if you read fewer labels and more of the Good Book, things would work out for you better.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +