Sunday, May 06, 2007

 

Fashion Tips for the Traveller

Just back from a trip to my old college stomping grounds, and while there, I picked up one of their signature tee shirts, which includes the old, classic slogan "Communism, Atheism, Free Love"--the hippie radical charm is undeniable, no? And perfectly harmless, right? Especially on someone who is plainly a suburban mom and definitely not a commie.

In retrospect, I can say one thing for sure: do NOT wear this shirt when being screened by the airlines for your flight...especially if you first forget to take off your rings, then your bracelet, setting off the metal detector for a second time, and finally your necklace, which sets off the detector a third time, raising eyebrows and necessitating a full body wand scan/pat down. Um, yeah. What can I say? I was on vacation. I put my brain on hold...and the shirt definitely did not help.


I kept trying to tell them I wasn't Marxist pond scum, but then, they'd shine those lights in my eyes and hit me again with the billy club. Anyway, when it became evident that the worst thing I was toting was a pair of brand new BCBG shoes--indisputably proving my American capitalist values--they let me board the plane and come home, so all is well.
--Melanie

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +