Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

Down on the Farm


A few months ago I wrote a post about a documentary called The Real Dirt on Farmer John. On Saturday we visited his farm. I wanted to learn more about the farm and to show my kids where the vegetables we will eat this summer come from. His farm is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Farm and we are shareholders. Each week, starting in mid-June, we will get a box of vegetables grown organically, a mere 80 miles away.

I had so much fun visiting the farm. My husband and son thought it was kind of boring, though my son did concede that it was less boring than the windmill tour I dragged them on when we were in Palm Springs. One part we all enjoyed, however, was seeing the animals – horses, chickens, kittens, and baby goats. We got to hold a baby goat and one particularly friendly chicken. It was almost enough to tip me over the edge to being a full-time vegetarian instead of just a wanna-be. We were able to bring some eggs home and they were fantastic. The yolk was so much darker than the eggs I buy in the store. The educator from the farm told me it was because the chickens eat a varied diet high in vitamin A. She also said that one time they fed them some peppers and the yolks turned bright red. It would be fun to use those for Deviled Eggs!

I’m looking forward to receiving our vegetables and hopefully roping the family into another visit.

--Kelly

Comments:
I'm jealous!
 
hg, check out http://www.localharvest.org/ to find a CSA farm near you!
 
Thanks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +