Thursday, January 04, 2007

 

The Trip of Mack and Leigh


My brother and sister-in-law boarded a plane headed west yesterday. I miss them already. It was refreshing to have conversations with people so totally removed from PTA, playdates, and suburbia. My brother is an artist and my sister-in-law is just amazing. She makes the most delicious homemade jelly and pear butter, is a fantastic gardener and wants to design green roofs (unfortunately we couldn't go see the one in here in Chicago on top of City Hall), and also does soft sculpture work. Yet she is really edgy. Much more Domiknitrix than Martha Stewart or maybe DIY pre-HGTV. So when she told me that she was going to make my kids moccasins for Christmas I should have known to expect more than the slipper socks I would have likely turned out. These hand-stiched leather moccasins are works of art and are far too beautiful to ever be worn.


So you can imagine my dismay when they complimented me on a sweater I was wearing and I had to admit I bought it at Anthropologie. O where did my anti-establishment attitude go? How did I become a Midwestern suburban housewife? Please come back Mack and Leigh and bring a little of my past coolness with you.

--Kelly

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +