Friday, March 30, 2007

 

The Drunken Writer

Surprise, surprise, getting drunk can be a good thing for some intellectual endeavors. The April issue of Esquire magazine had the most fascinating article that I was reading on the plane to Mexico (and can I just take a moment to say how much I love this magazine--and yes, I know it's intended for men, but I can't help it. I'm subscribing.)

Anyway, this article was an investigation on the effects of booze on writing. It was actually done in a somewhat scientific and controlled manner. At least as scientific and controlled as you can be in an endeavor that involves drinking Johnnie Walker, testing your blood alcohol level and writing essays on randomly assigned topics. Seriously. This dude wrote essays at blood alcohol levels of 0.00 on up to 0.16 or so and published them, more or less unedited, in the magazine.


The results were intriguing. Surprisingly (or maybe not) the stone-cold sober essay was NOT the best. It seemed like a little booze kind of loosened things up and the essays with a little JW under the belt were way better. It seemed like the optimal level was about 0.04-0.08--enough to lighten up, but not too much to be soused.


So, the question is: should we all be imbibing for the best writing results? That could get messy fast. Still, maybe it's worth considering as a cure for (hopefully infrequent) writer's block.


--Melanie

Comments:
.

Dearest Friend,

After much thought, I have decided
to leave 'Thought & Humor'.

The reasons are many but they all boil
down to this: Nobody writes me anymore
so it must mean that you don't like me
or my UNC jokes, riddles, cartoons
or pictures:O(

I was hoping people would contact me
by posting a kind message in the
"comments" on this blog but no one has.

Goodbye,
Howdy

P.S. All of you liberals can now be happy
because I am giving up. You have finally
won after 10 years of publishing...

P.P.S. The sad song playing on my blog
really fits my mood! You know I think
that I might have possibly visited your
site awhile back. Do you remember
or am I wrong?

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +