Sunday, November 04, 2007

 

The Great Halloween Buy-Back

I thought all had gone well with our latest parenting genius idea, until I sat down at my desk and found the note reading "ROBBER!" in my eldest daughter's handwriting.

Inspired by a story I read about a local dentist who is buying back Halloween candy at a dollar a pound, and giving out toothbrushes and raffle tickets to seal the deal, my husband and I decided to try the same ploy.

All seemed to be going well. The kids chose their favorite candies to enjoy over the next week. We duly weighed the remainder and as a show of good faith, even upped the rate to $2 per pound to make the payoff seem more dramatic. Daughter #1 got 8 bucks, and on downward to the third one who got $2, thanks to generous weighing techniques. We even offered to give them playdates with friends instead of money if the filthy lucre wasn't reward enough. Everyone seemed satisfied, and they stashed their money and went happily off to bed.

And still with the "ROBBER!" note. My only reward will (hopefully) be no more cavities in their precious little fangs.

--Melanie

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +