Wednesday, July 04, 2007

 

If You Blinked, You Missed It


I've had visions, strange visions, ever since my visit to Saint Cupcake in Portland, OR in May. Visions of the most dreamy, creamy, cupcake-y type.
My most recent cupcake fantasy was that I would make these delicious Barefoot Contessa coconut cupcakes with my kids, thereby proving for once and for all that I can bake from scratch. Never have my children seen such a thing, but I used to be quite a mean baker. Not mean as in hitting people with rolling pins, but let's just say I once worked as a camp cook for 50 people, and also had more than a little family fame in this department. My dad always used to say I would open a little bakery called Mel's Muffins.
This, obviously, was long before my current phase, where I count brownies from a box as being a job well done. I get some ribbing from my friends, yes, when I pull out the pre-fabbed frosting time and again, but it works for me. Until Saint Cupcake, that is.

Anyway, back to the coconut cupcakes. Did my fantasy come true? Did my girls gather around as we carefully measured flour and sugar together? Um, no. I couldn't peel them away from PBS, and having just had a long day, I didn't really want to. Did I enjoy making the cupcakes myself, and are they delicious? Yes! They rose perfectly and have a fantastic texture--not to be found from Betty Crocker. Seriously, I highly recommend the recipe. I even made the homemade cream cheese frosting. Y to the UM.
Maybe I'll get to fulfill my mother-daughter dreams on the next go-round. After all, I did invest in a practically encylopedic cupcake cookbook as soon as I got home from Portland.
--Melanie

Comments:
I'd love the recipe! Please send it to me. I love coconut!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas ? +